Sachin Tendulkar, one of those names in cricket whose contribution to the game is unimaginable. Sachin took the heights of cricket to another level. He is referred to as the “God of cricket”. And that’s probably true. There was a time when people used to watch cricket just for Sachin. They will watch till Sachin is on the field. Afterwards, they will turn off the TV. It was believed that without Sachin there is no victory, no Team India. In this article I will discuss the Biography of the legend, Sachin Tendulkar.
1. Personal details:
|Full name||Sachin Tendulkar|
|Names Earned||God of cricket, Master Blaster, Little Master|
|Father’s name||Late. Ramesh Tendulkar|
|Mother’s name||Rajni Tendulkar|
|Siblings||Savita Tendulkar (Half-Sister)
Nitin Tendulkar (Half-Brother)
Ajit Tendulkar (Half-Brother)
|Birth place||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Age (till 2020)||47 Years|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Married To||Anjali Tendulkar (Pediatrician)|
|Children||Sara Tendulkar (Daughter)
Arjun Tendulkar (Son)
|Girlfriends||Anjali Tendulkar (Pediatrician)|
|Caste||Rajapur Saraswat Brahmin|
Sachin’s father was a Marathi novelist. His mother worked for an insurance company. He had step-siblings, from his father’s first wife, who was dead. He spent his early childhood in “Sahitya Sahawas Cooperative Housing Society”.
2. Physical statistics:
|Height (approx.)||5 feet 5 inches (165 cms)|
|Weight (approx.)||75 kgs (165 lbs)|
|Chest measurement (approx.)||Unknown|
|Waist measurement (approx.)||Unknown|
|Biceps measurement (approx.)||Unknown|
|Eye colour||Dark Brown|
|Net worth||$ 160 million|
|Salary||INR 80 crores (IPL)|
|Batting style||Right-handed batsman|
|Bowling style||Right-arm fast-medium bowler|
|Best shots||Straight Drive|
|International ODI debut||Played on 18.12.1989 at Gujranwala, against Pakistan|
|International Test series debut||Played on 15.11.1989 at Karachi, against Pakistan|
|International T-20 series debut||Played on 01.12.2006 at Johannesburg against South Africa|
|International ODI last match||Played on 18.03.2012 at Dhaka against Pakistan|
|International Test series last match||Played on 16.11.2013 at Mumbai against West Indies|
|International T-20 series last match||Played on 01.12.2006 at Johannesburg against South Africa|
|Declared international retirement on||10.10.2013|
|IPL team||Mumbai Indians (MI)|
- Sachin made most no. Test runs, i.e., 15921 and ODI runs, i.e., 18426.
- He played the most Test matches (200) and ODI matches (463).
- Sachin scored 1894 things in 1998 ODI, which is the most things scored by any batsmen in a year.
- He is the only batsmen in the history of cricket to score 100 international centuries.
- He made the most no. of centuries in 1998 ODI, i.e., 9.
- He has the most runs in the World Cups, i.e., 2278.
- Sachin is the first batsman to score a double century in ODI.
- He has record of scoring the most no. of centuries in ODI – 49 and in Test series – 51.
- He scored the most no. of half centuries in ODI – 96 and in Test series – 68.
- He is the fastest cricketer to score 10000 runs in Test matches.
- Sachin is the only batsman who has the record of scoring 1000 runs in a year that too 7 times.
- In World Cup 2003, he scored the most runs, 673.
- He has won Man of the Match Title for most of the times, in World Cup – 9 and in ODI – 62.
- He has hit most fours in 2016.
- Most of the times, Man of the Series winner – 20.
- Sachin won Arjuna Award from Government of India in 1994.
- He won Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna in 1997-1998.
- In 1997 he was awarded with the Wisden cricket of the year.
- Won Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award in 1999.
- He was awarded with Maharashtra Bhushan in 2001.
- He was Player of the Tournament in 2003 World Cup.
- Received Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian award in 2008.
- In 2010 the Indian Air Force made him the Honorary Group Captain.
- He was the BCCI cricketer of the year in 2011.
- Indian Postal released a Stamp of Sachin Tendulkar in 2013.
- Sachin received Bharat Ratna, the highest civilian award in 2014.
- Sachin was inducted into the International Cricket Council’s Hall of Fame in 2019.
6. Interesting facts about Sachin Tendulkar:
- Initially Sachin was very fond of playing Lawn Tennis. He is a big fan of John McEnore.
- His brother Ajit recognised his talent of Cricket and introduced him to his coach Ramakant Achrekar in 1984.
- Sachin started his cricket practice at Shivaji Park in Dadar.
- He became friends with Vinod Kambli at his school Shardasharam Vidyamandir.
- Kambli and Sachin together created a World record of 664 runs, out of which Sachin scored 329 runs.
- Sachin was bullied in his childhood by other children of the society.
- His career took a turning point when he scored his first 50 in the second Test match against Pakistan.
- His favourite sports are Lawn Tennis, Formula 1 and Golf.
- He wanted to become a fast bowler, but in the suggestion of Dennis Lillee, he started focusing on his batting skills.
- To meet his monetary needs, Sachin worked in an apparel factory.
- At the age of 17 Sachin met his future wife, Anjali, who was elder than him. Still coping with all the opposition’s, they got married after 5 years of dating.
- They have two children Sara and Arjun. Arjun is going to do his IPL debut this year in IPL 2021. Check Arjun Tendulkar biography also.
- In his ODI debut, he got out for a duck and in his Test debut, he scored only 15 runs.
- Sachin is the co-owner of Kochi ISL team in the Football league.
- After 1990, Sachin got a lot of popularity. Brands started approaching him for endorsement of their products.
- Sachin’s favourite batsmen are Sunil Gavaskar and Sir Vivian Richards.
- His favourite bowlers are Wasim Akram, Anil Kimble, Shane Warne, Glenn McGrath, Muttiah Muralitharan and Curtly Ambrose.
- Sachin loves blue colour a lot.
- His favourite destinations are New Zealand and Mussorie.
Sachin is actually the “God of cricket”. Writing about his biography is an honour. I can not put his efforts and whole contribution in my words. These are just some of the significant details of his life. He is an idol for almost each and every cricketer. His son is going to debut in the IPL, but we should see him as an individual young cricketer, not as the son of Sachin Tendulkar. Wishing Sachin a good health and happy life ahead.